How To Hang Grasscloth Wallpaper?
How To Hang Grasscloth Wallpaper?
By Wallpaper Land on March 20, 2023
The choice of grasscloth wallpaper is an ideal decision for your home decor upgrades because of a lot of reasons i.e. handcraft manufacturing, breathable texture, congenital element, sustainability, and certain others. However, you can’t enjoy the sight of wallpaper aesthetics until you precisely and carefully install your wall treatment. One of such important considerations is the usage of grasscloth wallpaper, essentially it’s hanging.
Do you know how to hang grasscloth wallpaper or are you looking for a step-by-step guide to DIY hang your grasscloth wallpaper? If that’s so, then Wallpaper Land is here to illustrate the steps to be followed for hanging a grasscloth wallpaper. We shall begin with a brief definition of grasscloth wallpaper and its significance for those making this choice for the first time.
The Comprehensive Guide To DIY Hang Your Grasscloth Wallpaper
Grasscloth wallpapers are hand-woven products that comprise natural fibers from sisal, seagrass, arrowroot, bamboo, and jute. These wallpapers are eco-friendly, versatile, breathable, and compatible with nearly all types of interior designs.
Unlike traditional wall coverings, grasscloth treatments are delicate and therefore, demand special attention to detail for damage-free installations.
Unidentical Wallpaper Seams Are Common
In contrast to conventional options, grasscloth wallpapers have no two seams identical because the natural fibers are threaded into a complex texture for a unique appearance. Also, hand-crafting (construction) explains this seam variation pretty well.
Because humans can’t replicate the designs and patterns with 100% accuracy like machines. That’s why you should always keep in mind that no two seams are going to be identical and therefore, it’s no blame on the installation procedure. Below, we’ve explained some tips and tricks that can minimize the seam variation when installing grasscloth wallpaper.
- You can reverse hang the alternate seams for an overall matching wallpaper appearance. In this context, you lay flat all the seams when you unroll the wallpaper and temporarily attach those with a matching appearance using tape. Afterwards, there’ll be no hassle to find matching seams.
- Always buy wallpaper from the same roll and never part the product in pieces, especially when buying grasscloth wallpaper. Because you’ll find color differences up to a significant extent for alternate rolls.
Some Important Tips For Damage-Free Grasscloth Wallpaper Installations
Grasscloth wallpapers are porous or breathable and therefore, the most common mistake is to get excessive glue on the face of the wallpaper. This does explain the extent of care and precision required when installing grasscloth wallpaper. Below, we’ve summoned a list of acts that you should always remain mindful of when hanging grasscloth wallpaper.
- Grasscloth wallpaper is delicate and therefore, you should be extremely careful while cutting it to size for perfect installations.
- Never apply excessive glue or adhesive to hang these wallpapers because it can rob your valuable investment of its aesthetic appeal.
- Make sure that your hands are always clean and put tools at a side after use so that the face of the wallpaper remains clean.
- Corners and edges are to be precisely cut to size because they won’t easily bend for adjustments.
- Always work in an area with plenty of free space for pasting the wallpaper and to minimize the chances of errors.
- Get the walls cleaned up and apply a double coat of primer before hanging the wallpaper
- Take repeated wall measurements before cutting the wallpaper to prevent losses.
- Use sharp blades or scissors to make smooth, regular cuts, and avoid blunt-edged knives for this purpose.
Read More: How To Fix Loose Wallpaper Seams?
The Step-By-Step Procedure To Hang Grasscloth Wallpaper
Hanging grasscloth wallpaper may prove to be an intimidating task for a beginner. However, if you follow all the steps carefully, you’ll surely complete this DIY task efficiently and with no damage to your valuable investment. The following materials and tools should be arranged for efficient wallpaper installations.
- Smoothing Tool
- Wallpaper Adhesive Or Glue
- Wall Primer
- Paint Roller
- Step Ladder
- Sharp Blade Or Scissors
- Drywall Filler (Optional)
1. Map Out The Wall
Alongside taking wall measurements, you need to map out the wall to deal with obstructions like air vents, boards, switches, etc. It’s necessary because grasscloth wallpaper fibers aren’t flexible and therefore, you’ll find it really difficult to bend them around corners.
However, when you already know the measurements, you can mark specific points (with a pencil) and cut the wallpaper afterward. The best approach is to clear the wall off obstructions like electricity boards, switches, and other removable hurdles.
2. Clean The Walls
It is super obvious that walls should be clean and there should be no dust or dirt to interfere with wallpaper installation. Also, if there are any cracks in the wall, you can use drywall filler or any other joint filler to fill small gaps for a smooth appearance. Let the wall get dry completely before hanging the wallpaper.
3. Apply The Wall Primer
Priming the walls before wallpaper applications not only gives texture to your plain walls but also allows better wallpaper attachments. For best results, it’s recommended that you apply a double coat of the primer.
4. Glue/Paste The Wallpaper
The next step is to apply glue on the back of the wallpaper. For this purpose, you can also use a brush but a paint roller is a more recommended option. That’s because brush fibers can cause the adhesive to penetrate deep into the wallpaper fibers thus, protruding on the face of the wallpaper.
To apply wallpaper paste, you need not apply force or hush things and work your way in a gentle manner lengthwise. Make sure that the glue is spread evenly on the back of the wallpaper.
Read More: What Color Accent Wall Goes With Gray?
5. Attach The Wallpaper Strips
Step up the ladder and attach the first strip of grasscloth wallpaper to the wall. Make sure that there’s no space left between the top of the wallpaper strip and the ceiling. Now, smoothen the area using a smoothing tool.
Again, don’t apply too much pressure because it can cause the glue to project on the face of the wallpaper. Now, work your way down the wallpaper strip for attachment and follow the exact same line of action.
6. Repeat The Process
You need to repeat the exact same procedure for attaching all the alternate wallpaper strips. However, in case you encounter an obstruction, you need to cut the wallpaper using a sharp blade and leave an additional inch on all sides (this one inch can be masked under the switch, board, or whatever obstruction).
To Sum Up!
Hanging grasscloth wallpaper DIY used to be an intimidating task for beginners until now. That’s because we’ve explained a simple, straightforward, and easy-to-understand procedure in a step-wise manner for hanging grasscloth wallpaper. All you have to do is to arrange for the essentials of this project and spare some of your time to complete this DIY task following the steps explained.