How to Make and Use Homemade Wallpaper Remover?
How to Make and Use Homemade Wallpaper Remover?
By Wallpaper Land on Oct 10, 2023
Wallpaper removal is the first step for homeowners who want to restore their painted walls, apply new wallpaper, and smooth their wall surfaces. Removing wallpaper becomes frustrating if the right tools and equipment are not used. General wall cover removal does a great job but it is costly and leaves an odor that is optional for many owners.
Homemade wallpaper removal is a cost-effective and efficient solution for removing wallpaper from walls. This DIY project saves you costs and provides a satisfying project whether you wish to renovate or redecorate your home. In this article by Wallpaper Land, we will learn how to make and use homemade wallpaper removal:
Why Use Homemade Wallpaper Removal?
These wallpaper removal can serve various advantages:
1. Cost Effective
First of all, this homemade remedy to remove wallpaper saves you a cost. The store-made removal can be costly.
2. Control Over Ingredients
For people who have sensitive skin and allergies, this can be a good option, as it allows you to control ingredients and makes it a secure choice.
3. Environmentally Friendly
Most commercial wall cover removal can be harmful and can impact the environment. Homemade alternatives are made with natural ingredients that are less harmful to the atmosphere.
4. Readily Available Ingredients
You can easily find the materials in your kitchen and at a local store for the preparation of this wallpaper removal.
Ingredients For Homemade Wallpaper Removal
The wallpaper glue is softened mainly by hot water.
This wallpaper glue can be broken down with the help of white vinegar.
Dish soap in a moderate amount can help you to penetrate the mixture of wallpaper and adhesive.
A small amount of baking soda, lemon, or essential oils can be added for flavor and extra cleaning power.
- A bucket to mix the solution
- A clean cloth or sponge to apply the solution to the wallpaper
- A scraper or knife to remove the wall cover from the wall
- Plastic sheets to cover the floors and furniture
Steps To Make Homemade Wallpaper Remover
Step 1: Prepare Your Workspace
Before starting work, make sure to set your work area, and clear all the portions around wallpapered wall. Make sure to cover your floor and furniture with a plastic sheet to prevent it from spilling. Remove any switch plates and outlet covers from the wall if you want.
Step 2: Mix The Solution
Take a bucket to mix these ingredients to make the solution:
- 1 part of hot boiling water for more effectiveness.
- 1 part of white vinegar to mix with hot water.
- A few drops of dish soap about 1 to 2 tablespoons.
- Some amount of baking soda is optional for the extra cleaning process.
- Stir all the mixture well to make sure that all ingredients are well mixed.
Step 3: Test a Small Area
It is a good idea to test the homemade wallpaper remover on a tiny area of the wall before using it on the full surface. It can make sure that it cannot harm the wallpaper or the wall surface beneath it.
Step 4: Apply The Solution
Apply the removal solution of the wall cover to the wallpapered surface using a clean cloth or sponge. Completely moistened the wall cover. But be careful not to over-wet the surface as it can damage the plaster underneath.
Step 5: Allow The Dwell Time
For 15 to 20 minutes, let the solution sit on the wallpaper. This allows it time to permeate and soften the glue, which facilitates removing the wallpaper.
Step 6: Begin Removing The Wallpaper
Use a knife or scraper to remove the wallpaper from the wall after the paste has been settled. Start from the corner edge and move outward to remove the wallpaper. Apply more mixture and let it settle for some time if the wallpaper is too resistant.
Step 7: Be Patient And Gentle
Be patient as removing the wall cover is a time-consuming process. If you find difficult areas, apply more mixture and then gently scrape the wall cover away. Avoid using force as it can harm the wallpaper.
Step 8: Clean And Rinse
Once you removed all the wallpaper, use a clean cloth or sponge to thoroughly clean the wall. Clean them properly to get rid of any residue on the wall.
Step 9: Dry And Inspect
Let the wall dry totally. Check it for flaws, if any, then take suitable actions to make sure the surface is smooth and even. Repeat the cleaning procedure for the remaining particles.
Step 10: Finish The Wall
You can move forward with your chosen finish once the wall is thoroughly clean and dry. This can entail repainting the walls, hanging fresh wallpaper, or completing any required wall surface repairs.
Tips For Using Homemade Wallpaper Remover
- When removing wall cover, it’s usually preferable to try it on one area at a time to keep the wallpaper thoroughly soaked.
- In some circumstances, especially when dealing with vinyl wallpaper, making tiny holes in the wall cover with a scoring tool can help the solution’s penetration.
- Any wall-mounted electrical outlets and switches should be unplugged and covered with plastic before applying the solution to stop moisture from entering.
- It can take time and effort to remove wallpaper. Rushing may result in frustration or damage to the wall.
- It could be best to bag the wall cover and dispose of it following local laws, depending on the type. Several wallpaper products should not be burned or discharged into the environment.
A fantastic DIY option for removing wallpaper from your walls is homemade wallpaper remover. You can successfully and safely remove wall cover from your walls while taking your time to do so, preparing your walls for a new wall covering application or a fresh, updated look. In addition to being less expensive, homemade remedies provide you more control over the ingredients used, making them a more environmentally friendly choice.